After relocating to the Charlotte area, one family spent over a year searching in vain for their dream home, which would have the contemporary and cosmopolitan flair they craved. Instead they found a solid, traditional home in a spectacular setting - a beautiful site with a pool and existing tennis courts, the school district they desired for their children, and a prime gated neighborhood. The clients and their interior designer commissioned Palmer Custom Builders to completely revamp the house to reflect their contemporary tastes and to update several important spaces within the home.
Palmer's Project Goals and Challenges
- This project was a complete character transformation-transforming a very traditional brick house with a contemporary makeover that extended from the exterior to the interior finishes.
- To give the traditional brick exterior a more updated appearance, the front columns, doors and lighting were streamlined.
- The foyer was simplified, elaborate trim molding was streamlined, and a modern stair rail took the place of its traditional predecessor.
- The kitchen was a complete transformation; traditional cherry raised-panel cabinets were donated to Habitat for Humanity and were replaced with a creative juxtaposition of light and dark wood cabinets highlighted by brushed chrome hardware. Dramatic and bold granite counter top plays against translucent and reflective glass backsplash tiles. Stainless steel appliances complete the streamlined look.
- All lighting and plumbing fixtures throughout the home were switched to more contemporary renditions.
- Other phases of this project included construction of an art studio in the attic space after adding a dormer window, and sound control in another bedroom for acoustical guitar playing.
- A large breakfast room addition was also constructed on the rear of the home, overlooking a beautifully designed and landscaped backyard.
- The end result was a more functional, updated home with a contemporary flare truly enjoyed by the client.